Video Production, Logo Animation, and Photography
How do you stand out in a world that is inundated with visual images? Generally, by a) creating compelling images and videos, b) posting consistently, and c) practicing effective SEO strategies (search engine optimization).
Video Content Becomes More Important Each Year
But how can you get the most out of your advertising dollar? I’d suggest doing a combination of professionally developed videos and vlogs, combined with videos and vlogs produced in-house.
No matter how good your video content is, it probably won’t be seen unless it is optimized for SEO. This means that the title. description, and tags accurately reflect the content, and that keywords are used correctly.
How will video work best for you if you have a small business or nonprofit?
If you’re a small business or nonprofit agency, that’s a much more complicated question than it was a few years ago.
First, it helps to know where your target audience is online. You will most likely have more than one target audience. For example, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest have more of a female audience. YouTube, the second-largest search engine (following Google), has more of a male audience. LinkedIn will reach more B2B (business – to – business) customers. Click to view the social media usage statistics for 2016 by the Pew Research Center.
Second, you will want to know what types of messages (usually stories) that you want to tell through video on each of these platforms. For a list of types of stories, click here.
How can you make this work the best for you? By creating video content, in one sitting, that can be used in a variety of social media platforms (a sampling is listed below).
For example, let’s say you want to tell a story about why you started your business (Origin story). Let’s say you have three main talking points. You can tell your story in slightly different ways during the interview so it can be separated during editing to create a variety of videos.
Most of the b-roll should be different for each platform. B-roll is the video content and pictures that are used to “show, not tell” your story. B-roll breaks up the narration so you don’t have a “talking head” look to your videos.
While this may seem daunting, remember that most marketing videos are short. The shorter the video, the more likely it is to be watched.
People watching with no sound? No problem!
A majority of videos on social media are watched with the sound turned off. (Except YouTube.)
SEO (search engine optimization): Closed captions and transcripts are a great work-around because both can be indexed by search engines, but only if you create them.
Closed captions are created in two ways:
- They are created as separate files during the editing process, and are uploaded separately to YouTube and Facebook. These will help a lot with SEO because they are text files and can be read and indexed by search engines. Here is what they look like. The actual text is in blue; the numbers are markers: 1
00:00:00,000 –> 00:00:01,125
This is a quick tutorial 2
00:00:01,125 –> 00:00:03,000
about the “Rule of Thirds”
- YouTube and Facebook will create captions for you. You can edit YouTube’s captions, which is great, because voice recognition isn’t accurate yet. YouTube’s captions are also “read” by search engines. A lot of YouTubers don’t edit their captions. I don’t know if Facebook’s captions are editable. I create my own captions because I like to convert them to open captions for Instagram.
Main Online/Social Media Platforms
(Descriptions and details are on separate pages.)
- Your Website: All of your videos should be linked to your website, not the other way around.
- Posting videos individually to each social media account will dramatically increase your SEO and viewing rates.
- Most social media giants are competing with each other and do not promote videos unless they are uploaded specifically to their site.
- Facebook has two types of videos, a “Cover Page” video for business pages and regular videos for both business and personal pages. Both have different specs.
- Instagram also has two types of videos: Instagram Stories, which disappear in 24 hours, and regular videos that are posted on your timeline.
This is a recent memorial video I created for L.A. GOAL, using a combination of interviews, multiple cameras, iPhone clips and pictures. Maria brought a lot of joy into our lives!